Unfortunately, this isn’t exactly the advice that you necessarily receive accolades for. People don’t want to hear the word “no”, “that’s pry not the greatest idea", or "Perhaps you should think a little more about this." Instead, people like to listen to those who tell them that they are so smart, deserve more and yes, you need to move on. I need to find more supporters like this! I’d be so much further in life.
Being an idiot requires some specific behavior. Usually it includes thumping people over the head as many times as you can with a Bible, or whacking them with truths that only you are privy to. It starts as something that says “I am smarter than them and how the hell can they get away with this?” It is usually accompanied by several people telling them how incredibly smart and perceptive they are, who point out what you aren’t seeing.
While I would like to condone this activity for my personal uses, I feel like it is a sticky place to be in. You can’t just go around telling people that they are idiots. You can’t tell them that their entitlement issues don't make them qualified for things that they didn’t earn no matter how great their vision is. It’s tricky business telling people that they are idiots. It would really be unfortunate if, when it was all over, we were actually the idiot of which we were speaking.
Judging people’s intentions is what we do, we look for opportunities while reading the news: Facebook updates, People.com, even our local news. We read the news to be a judge. We read things people write to see if they are right or wrong. We test out different groups to see if we will fit. Then we make our decisions based on our judgments. What if there isn’t a line? What if they aren’t what we expected them to be? What if in their crazy way, they are who they were supposed to be? Who’s the idiot, now?
You make me laugh! I love the way you put to words the world around us! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete