I wrote this a couple of weeks ago, but as with most of my posts, sometimes there is just someone who needs it or a piece of my life that deserves mention. My family and our weekend deserves this.
Some days are picture perfect; you just want to frame them. Then a song comes along and frames it in your memory and writes a message in your heart.
I was watching three extra kids the other day and to my
dismay, two of the three were stung by bees. To make my embarrassment even
worse, none of the three were mine. We have a play area for the kids. That is
their part of the yard, the rest is ours. The kids are great about staying in
it and playing there. We’ve never had a problem with our kids getting stung. I felt horrible.
After the incident, I noticed my oldest daughter asking one
of them after they had been treated for it, “Does it hurt?” In my motherly
frustration I told her, “Please don’t ask if it hurts, ask if it is getting
better. If you ask if it hurts, it makes it hurt worse, if you ask if it’s
getting better, usually, it is. If you don’t make a big deal out of it, it will
disappear unless it is a big deal.” I didn’t realize what a huge lesson I was
teaching myself, much less my kid and the rest of them, at the time.
I’m a gardener… hope always springs eternal in the
gardener’s world. We invest in the future through perennials and starts. We constantly
say the words, “Next Year.” I didn’t
realize as I carefully transplanted my roots from Washington to Oregon, that I
was planting something that would sustain me from year to year. Not in ’97 when
we moved and passed a ghost town on the way, or when we’d been here for years
and I offered to support a friends’ mom through marketing. But the friendships and addition of family
built in our transitional period has sustained me through all of the craziness
this last year.
I wasn’t sure what would happen when things changed as we
shut down and moved church to home group, but guess what? We’re okay. We’re
doing better. And no one has asked if we’re hurt. The ones who care ask if it’s
getting better. My book might be on hold, but I know that when I release it, it
won’t be from a position of hurt. I won’t be another pastor’s kid made into a
statistic. Because my heart, my faith and my family have been carried by so
many who tended my garden while I neglected it. And though I didn’t realize it,
they healed my heart.
I thought that the church held my family together, but the
truth is, my family held the church together. And my friends who were like
family made up the support to hold our family together while we held the church
together. We all made it through this tumultuous time intact. As the dust
settles, my friends and family are still there. Some still encourage us to grow
our faith and the rest still get pulled with us through the momentum.
When my faith has been broken, there has always been someone
there to carry it for me and direct me back to my roots. Oddly enough, they may
or may not have been connected to my actual roots. They carefully tuck my heart
away and carry it, like a treasure to be released later. Family is amazing, something that reaches out
and pulls you back from the edge. Family takes on many different
characteristics. It’s investing in
history, because that’s what your family has always done. Though not the same
way, just as valuable. And it’s what we know.
As a pastors’ kid, I always wondered what a “normal” family
looked like. Day by day, I’m finding that it looks like mine. It looks like the
ones that I’ve been adopted into as well. They are the people you miss, the
ones you send a text message to, the ones you stop in to see, because when you
don’t see each other weekly, it feels like you stop breathing. That thing that
so many people want and are so hesitant to give: right in front of my face.
Sometimes it feels so suffocating that it makes it hard to breathe, but so
missed when it isn’t there.
It’s the people who know that the quarter you put into that
carousel out in front of the Wal-Mart is
ending and they still hold on… riding it til the end. Just for kicks, they will
buck and snort, just to make it look like the thing is still moving. They are
the ones that embarrass you and you realize that your life wouldn’t be the same
without them.
Don’t ever stop appreciating the kids with their finger in
their nose, the ones you think are cute or the ones you think are annoying. There
will always be those who you wish you could do without, because they are just
plain embarrassing. And, if you are really special, there will always be the
ones who will take the time to air pet you invade your space and give you
awkward hugs even when they know you don’t want them. Family doesn’t always
look the same as you, but the heart is still the same and beats with the same
rhythm. And like a drum, it won’t stop beating for you.
So good once again Tori! You are such an artist with words. I'm not sure it's getting better yet, but it is definitely gone, gone, gone.
ReplyDelete